Friday, April 10, 2015

All Good Things Must Come to an End


For those of you who don’t know, Pandora is a music radio app that you can get on your phone. I finally downloaded it recently after setting aside my hatred for anything besides local radio.

You see, my junior year of high school I worked as an intern for a local radio station and even had a show that I would DJ some times. It made me fall in love with the small town radio way of life and really propelled me into doing journalism in college. I realized that it was dying, but I knew that local companies would always advertise with their local radio station. Right?

Wrong. While listening to Pandora today I realized that instead of the usual Taco Bell or Bud Light commercials, Pandora was advertising for local companies. I immediately knew what was happening. Radio stations in small towns and even big cities are going to end and it won’t take long for them to die out.

I really hope that in small towns like Batesville, Arkansas, my hometown, local businesses will continue to advertise through their local stations. Unfortunately however, even deep in my heart of hearts, I know the world is changing and most likely leaving local radio behind.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment