Friday, April 10, 2015

Sports, Gambling, and Technology


                Since the dawn of time, sports and gambling have gone hand in hand. You could argue that gambling on sports is the most American thing to do these days. Now more than ever, Americans are gambling on their sports because of the technology we possess.

                Think fantasy football. You really don’t even have to try to win anymore because your phone will tell you who to play and when to play them, but that’s a whole other story. The point is all you have to do is dig into your pocket and tap your phone a couple times to gamble in today’s society. It’s really awesome, but also crazy dangerous.

                My friend Matt, reminded me of this phenomena when he showed me a new app on Thursday. It is an app that allows you to pick any baseball player that you will believe will get a hit that night. If you pick right on 56 straight days, you win 5.6 million dollars (56 in honor of Lou Gehrig’s hitting streak.) What I loved about this app is there is no losing money, so it’s not really gambling. Not to say I won’t gamble on sports, but at my age I don’t have the money. My favorite thing about the app is that it helps me keep up with baseball. In a long year of long games, it’s easy to lose touch sometimes, but this app allows me to focus on a different player every night.

                Technology has made sports better, and hopefully will continue to do so. As long as the game doesn’t change (football, basketball, baseball, etc.) maybe technology and sports will be as grand of a duo as gambling and sports. Or perhaps, technology, sports, and gambling are already the ultimate trio of America already.

No comments:

Post a Comment